Quilting by the River provides high-quality, professional, and engaging lessons in the art of quilting by prioritizing traditional piecing excellence, flexible and creative instruction, and cutting-edge piecing techniques through classes and workshops for all levels of quilters.
With her broad comprehension of traditional quilting, colour theory, and piecing techniques, Carla is uniquely qualified to facilitate your creative process.
I am a traditional quilt teacher by trade and therefore regularly teach both in my home studio and at the local quilt shop. Through this work, I have honed my teaching skills, drawing on my background as a community college teacher. I strive to create a fun, engaging, and dynamic learning environment, adapting to the interests and strengths of each group both from class to class and within each class. My success at the local level has opened opportunities for me to travel throughout Ontario as an invited teacher and lecturer for numerous guilds and groups.
- Life-long passion for teaching with a previous career as a community college teacher
- Specializes in teaching piecing speed and accuracy
- Highly skilled in appliqué (machine and hand) template piecing, paper piecing, and hand piecing
- Skilled in hand quilting and machine quilting
- Professional long-arm quilter, Experienced in quilt design
- Comprehensive knowledge of colour theory
- Experience with fabric dyeing, and painting
Certifications and Professional Titles
- Studio 180 Design Tools and Techniques - Deb Tucker & Studio 180, 2014
- Master Class in Heritage Quilting Design - Canadian Machine Quilter’s Association, 2010
- Professional member of the Canadian Quilter’s Association (CQA), Since 2010
- Member of the Canadian Machine Quilter’s Association, Since 2009
- Member of the Sudbury and District Quilter’s & Stitchery Guild, Since 2004
- September Morn - 2010
- “Tuckerized” Pattern Coming Soon!